2 c. (8 oz.) finely chopped almonds
1 c. (4 oz.) finely chopped walnuts
1/4 c. caster (superfine) sugar (used regular sugar)
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cloves
2 c. sugar
2 c. water
1 stick cinnamon
1 Tbl. lemon juice
12 oz. packet filo pastry, thawed
1. Place all filling ingredients in a bowl, combine until well blended.
2. Place syrup ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes and leave to cool.
3. Brush a 9" x 13" baking dish with butter. Add 10 sheets of filo, brushing each with butter before placing on top of the other.
4. Spread the filling evenly in the dish.
5. Add 10 - 12 sheets of filo, brushing each with butter as needed. Be sure to press down on the layers to get it soaked in well.
6. With a large knife, score the top into large diamond shapes.
7. Bake in oven preheated to 325 degrees for 1 hour or until top turns slightly brown.
8. Remove from oven and slowly pour the syrup over the top.
9. The most difficult part: letting it sit for at least 5 - 6 hours before serving.
|right after pouring syrup on, don't have any of it after|