1 1/2 c. warm (110 - 115 degrees) water
1 Tbl. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
approximately 4 1/2 c. (22 oz.) flour
1/2 stick butter (2 oz.), melted
10 c. water
2/3 c. baking soda
1 large egg yolk beaten w/1 Tbl. water
pretzel or sea salt
Crisco or Pam spray
1. Combine warm water, sugar and salt in stand mixer bowl, with yeast sprinkled on top. Let sit for 5 minutes or until mixture begins to foam.
2. Add the flour and butter and mix on low speed until well combined. Change to medium speed until dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, about 4 - 5 minutes.
3. Remove dough from bowl and oil/spray it well and return dough to bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for about an hour or until dough has doubled in size.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line 2 pans with parchment paper and lightly spray/brush with oil. Set aside.
5. Bring the 10 cups of water and baking soda to a rolling boil in a large pan.
6. Turn dough out onto a slightly oiled surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a long, 24-inch rope. Make a U-shape, holding ends of the rope and cross them over each other and press onto bottom of the U to form a pretzel shape. Make sure the ends are pinched onto the bottom of the pretzel, so they stay put.
7. Place one pretzel at a time into the boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove with a large flat spatula. Return to baking pan and brush the top of each pretzel with the beaten egg yolk and water mixture, then sprinkle with salt.
8. Bake until golden brown in color, about 10 - 12 minutes. Let cool on a rack for 5 minutes before serving.
|with egg wash & salt|
|our prettiest one, fresh from the oven!|
servings per recipe: 8
amount per serving
Total Fat: 7.0 g
Saturated Fat: 3.9 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.6 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1.8 g
Cholesterol: 40.8 mg
Sodium: 624.6 mg
Potassium: 79.3 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 55.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.9 g
Sugar: 1.8 g
Protein: 7.7 g
Vitamin A: 4.1 %
Vitamin C: --
Calcium: 1.5 %
Iron: 18.5 %