Thursday, June 16, 2011

Katsu Chicken

This recipe was wonderful! I got it from food.com, who in turn, I guess got it from the L&L Hawaiian Barbeque Grill chain. Ever since we've been to our local Hawaiian place, I've been curious about making some of the dishes. We know that my macaroni salad recipe beats theirs, and my mom's teriyaki marinade / sauce is awesome, but I was curious about making chicken katsu (sort of life a fried chicken cutlet with a sweet barbeque sauce).
So I searched and searched for a recipe that looked like what I knew chicken katsu to be. The only problem was the recipe was for 5 - 7 servings, using 4 lbs. of chicken. So I had to be creative with my measuring. What I'm listing below isn't 100% what I used to make it, but what will probably be a pretty accurate measurement for 1 lb. of chicken. Now, for the sauce, I only halved the recipe I had, and it made 4 cups' worth. And we maybe used...half a cup, total. What I'm posting below will be half of what I used, so hopefully it will make about 2 cups.

All in all, this was a wonderful, delicious meal; and much easier than I thought! Since we have so much leftover sauce, I will be making again really soon (darn!). Enjoy this with mac salad, rice and corn for a traditional Hawaiian plate lunch!

Chicken:
1 lb. chicken (the recipe called for thighs, but we only had breasts, and they worked fine)
1 1/2 - 2 c. Japanese panko bread crumbs
1 egg
1/3 c. water
1/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. white pepper

1. Pound chicken with a rolling pin.
2. Combine egg, water, cornstarch and spices to make a batter.
3. Coat chicken in egg mixture, then roll in panko crumbs, being sure to cover entire piece.
4. Fry in oil until golden brown and crispy (I used our biggest pan, with several tablespoons of oil, it worked just fine).

Katsu Sauce:
1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. ketchup
1/4 c. sugar
1 c. water
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. chicken bouillon
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 dash Tabasco sauce (didn't use this, since we didn't have it, but it was fine without it)
cornstarch mixed with water (thickener)

1. Combine all ingredients (except cornstarch mixed with water) and bring to a boil.
2. Add the cornstarch that has been mixed in with the water and stir until thick.
3. Serve on top of chicken and rice!




all breaded and ready for frying


delicious, delicious sauce

fry them for about 2 -3 minutes on one side


until they are perfectly golden brown


and enjoy with all the essentials: rice, corn, mac salad!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: