Monday, May 17, 2010

Apple Crisp

Last week we discovered our apples weren't so delicious eaten plain, they were a bit mealy. So on my day off, I decided to make apple crisp and ooh baby did it turn out perfect! It was the best apple crisp I've made (& I've made a fair amount, it is one of my favorite (& easiest) desserts) so far. The trick was...not burning the crumbles! This is my mom's recipe below.

4 medium apples (Gravenstein, Braeburn, Jonathan)
1/4 c. sugar
sprinkles of cinnamon
about 1/4 c. butter, cut up into small squares
1 c. sugar
1 c. flour
1 egg
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

1. Grease square pan and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Peel and thinly slice apples, fill up pan. Cover apples with sugar and sprinkles of cinnamon, mix well. Add the butter throughout the pan.
3. Mix together the sugar, flour, egg, baking powder and salt in a small bowl until finely mixed. Sprinkle on top of the apples.
4. Bake until apples are cooked & the topping is slightly golden brown, probably about 25-35 minutes. The trick is to just keep checking & to pull it out when you think it looks done.

Mmm! We had ours with fresh homemade whipped cream. :)




No comments: