Sunday, March 7, 2010

White Pasta Cheese Sauce

I grew up having this white cheese sauce and I absolutely love it; the Alfredo stuff at restaurants is not as good, in my opinion. My mom will make this sauce along with a simple red sauce when we have pasta for dinner. I lucked out; the first time I made this for Zak, he fell in love with it. Sometimes he'll request this rather than spaghetti sauce! The last few months I've experimented with using a little less butter and adding mozzarella cheese--it's also quite tasty.

3/4 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
4 c. milk
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
*try adding 1/4 c. mozzarella cheese also
salt and pepper

1. Melt butter in microwave [usually about 1:30 minutes]
2. Stir in flour; cook on high 2 - 3 minutes.
3. Whisk in milk; cook on high 3 minutes.
4. Stir with whisk; cook again for 2 minutes on high.
5. Stir again with whisk; cook on high for 1 minutes.
6. If sauce needs to thicken, continue to cook on high for 1 minute increments, just be careful to watch so sauce doesn't bubble up.
7. Add cheese(s) and salt and pepper to desired taste.
8. Serve over any pasta; we love bowties, shells, and spirals.

No comments: